Thursday, August 14, 2008

Two more days.

Goodness gracious, the days are getting harder and harder and shorter and shorter. Today and tomorrow are my last days of work at Malaika (its hard to believe it actually is almost over) and I start the two day trip home early Sunday morning. I have to admit, thought, that even though I am really going to miss the kids and Tanzania, I am really excited to go home and see my family and talk to friends and have something to eat other than starches! (Mom and Dad, could you please buy lots of different vegetables! asante sana!)

Two days ago, I was given quite an unexpected gift. Solome, one of the women who work at Malaika, wrote a song for me as a gift and secretly taught the older girls the song and the dance. On Tuesday, they performed it for me and it was amazing and such a blessing. I took video of it and when I return stateside, I will post the video on the blog so you all can enjoy the gift too. Today, I am going to write down the words in Swahili and attempt to translate it into English and I will post that on here soon too.

Yesterday, Solome invited me to church with her and it was quite an interesting experience. The church itself was a small and unassuming building, decorated with fake flowers and twinkle lights and a simple cross. Yet, even in its simplicity, the spirit was definitely moving through the people. I didn't understand much of what was going on (they were speaking really fast swahili) but a woman saw my confusion and sat down next to me and started to translate the whole (4 hour) service for me. It was really great. Halfway through the service, I was invited to read the days Bible lesson in English for the congregation (it was quickly followed up by the Swahili version). It was an amazing feeling to be instantly welcomed into the congregation and it really reminded me that it is not a church in Tanzania or a church in Naples or a church in Memphis that I am a member of but rather the Church of and in Christ that I am a member of.

Well, I must go to work now. I think I'm a little late (I stopped wearing a watch a few weeks ago and I have no idea what time it is. :) )

Oh, and until next time, say some prayers for the people of Georgia and Russia.

Namaste!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny,

What a beautiful gift to have received from Solome. I can't wait to see the video.

Enjoy each moment that you have left at Malaika. Life is a series of moments, some more memorable than others.

Vegetables and love await you,

Mom